Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Scrub Plane


    Sitting on my bench is my Veritas Scrub plane.  I bought this plane several years ago and it just occurred to me the other day how often I reach for it.  I suspect that real woodworkers would shriek if they saw how I use my scrub plane, but tough.    As you can see from the photo I am about to turn my scrubber lose on a glued up cutting board.  It will knock down the high spots and clear away that glue in the blink of an eye. I will then turn the board over to the more gentle ministrations of various smoothing planes and scrappers.  I am also a fan of my random orbital sander.


    The scrub plane also comes to the fore when I need to clear away lots of wood in a hurry.  I can remove material for smaller projects faster with the scrub than I can get the planner out of its corner in the shop and hook it up to the dust collection and move other things out of the way.  


   It is a work horse, or if you will a bull in a china shop.  I do adjust its blade for depth of cut but usually it is an adjustment from very deep and aggressive to sort of deep and  slightly less aggressive.  Not a delicate tool but one that I am really glad I own.



No comments:

Post a Comment